The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Oh My God! Bird Flu!


I read an article today that said in January of this year alone almost $2billion has been spent to combat avian bird flu. Since 2003, 108 people have died from avian bird flu - that works out to about ~40 deaths/year. Scientists admit it's "hard for humans to catch... But it's clearly going to happen and the only way you can prepare is to build your houses with structure".

Ah, nothing like unfounded conjecture and posturing to induce mass hysteria and make a story. Why don't we start preparing for when the Sun explodes or for when belligerent aliens try to take over our planet instead? That may be money better spent.

For references, some other death tolls1 to consider before calling avian bird flu a 'pandemic':

Commercial Airline: ~169 deaths/year or 1 in 1,568,000
Lightning: ~62 deaths/year
Pig Attack: ~40 deaths/year
Shark Attack: ~10 deaths/year
High School Football: ~6 deaths/year
Vending Machines: ~2 deaths/year
Hockey Puck: ~0.17 deaths/year
Ian Strangling Reporters and Scientists Who Jump to Unfounded Conclusions in Order to Cause Mass Hysteria: ~20 deaths/year (and rising)



1 - All statistics from deathdata.org and apply to US/Canada only.

5 comments:

Teddy said...

Think of this as an investment and trial run. The billions spent aren't specifically for bird flu, but for influenza in general. Influenza has a couple of nasty characteristics: it is usually easily transmitted and when it isn't it rapidly mutates to find a way to spread.

We spend billions to identify and prepare vaccines to prevent a pandemic, but it doesn't work so well. Inevitably, a strain will spread globally. It has already happened a couple times in the past 10 years. The problem is when one of those strains is really virulent. Then we have another pandemic.

This isn't the one. The press has it all wrong. But you never know when the bad one will come. Get your flu shots! Sorry, the doctor is now out.

Teresa said...

The one time I got a flu shot - I got the flu right away. I then I got it again - multiple times - that same winter. No flu shots for me...I'm sickly and get the flu no matter what!

ian said...

I've never had a flu shot and I've never gotten the flu. I'm not one to jump to conclusions... but this tells me that I have a mutant immune system similar to Wolverine's and can never get sick, injured, or die...

Kevin said...

Speaking of which, X-men 3 comes out in May. I simply can't wait.

Teddy said...

Ava has mutant healing powers too. Scratches on her at night are gone in the morning. Seriously! I think she can read my mind too.