The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Suck It, iTunes


I wrote a post awhile back congratulating Amazon on their new MP3 service, glad that I could finally abandon the expensive, DRM-laden iTunes store. The only problem was I was still forced to use the ever-so-shitty iTunes for syncing my iPods. Well, no more! The latest generation of Winamp (you remember, that old MP3 application you probably first used in college) now supports iTunes synchronization.

I've had problems with iTunes for awhile - I can't sort music the way I'd like, it never properly detects my iPods when I plug them in, and, oh, it's ugly as hell. Things came to a head last week when Steph actually had to call Apple support because she couldn't get the damn thing to detect any of our 3 iPods. Their response? "Try unplugging the iPod and then plug it back in." Thank you, Dr. Science!

So tonight I'll be putting the latest generation of Winamp through the motions, with my fingers crossed that I can finally kiss goodbye to to all Apple applications sans Quicktime. There's no doubt that iPods are the most ubiquitous music players around. It just drives me crazy that Apple forces you to use their crummy applications with their product. Is it just me or does this sound exactly like a certain Redmond outfit that Apple claims to sit opposite?

3 comments:

ndbutter said...

iTunes blows. I recently got an iPod and have been a big fan of MediaMonkey. If Winamp doesn't work for you, definitely try that. It's awesome.

rhett said...

i just downloaded the new winamp recently (still my music player of choice), but i didn't realize it supported itunes synchronization. my question is, does it allow you to transfer music from ipod to computer (instead of using the ipod as a hard drive) or is it still one-way?

BluegrassBaobab said...

If Apple sucks as an iPod what do you suggest one should rather buy?