The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Amazon MP3


Wow, it's postapalooza for me today...

I recently stumbled across something fantastic - Amazon MP3. It's a service offered by Amazon to purchase DRM-free MP3s. I repeat, DRM-free! None of that crap iTunes forces on you about only being allowed to burn the songs n-times or only being allowed to play on n-computers. These songs are 100% yours to do with as you please. On top of all that, they're encoded at a higher bitrate than the songs available through iTunes and they cost less! I can't stop ending my sentences with exclamation points! Several other nice features:
  • The tool integrates with your Amazon account for one-click song purchases
  • The download utility will automatically import your purchases into your iTunes library so your songs are easily accessible to your iPod, if you're in to that
The store is being backed by the RIAA so the catalog is quickly growing. I, for one, have completely abandoned the iTunes store. I mean, why wouldn't you? Higher bitrates, DRM-free, less cost - this puppy sells itself. Check it out, you'll never buy from another online music store again.

1 comment:

Teddy said...

Ian is right. Amazon has the best music download service going. I used it to buy NIN Ghosts. 36 tracks for $5.00! However, I have never purchased music on iTunes, and I will continue to get mine the old fashioned way (not the really old fashioned way of CDs) by downloading for free!

On a similar note, has anyone else heard about the new DRM free service from Microsoft and Sandisk? It has some code called Copyright Cop ebedded in the music and viseo you download. After you play the song, this code searches your player for non-legal files, tags them and will delete them with your next sync!!!!! Holy crap that would suck!

As if the Zune and Sandisk players needed anohter reason not to buy them!