The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Friday, June 15, 2007

John Edwards Is A Douche Bag


I'm not really in the know on politics (or the current political persuasions of our family), but I do know one thing. John Edwards is absolute scum. Look at that slimy smile on the left. He's just scheming on how he can continue to pull the wool over the eyes of America. This guy CANNOT be our next president. Let me tell you why.

John Edwards is a multimillionaire. That in itself is not a problem. All presidential candidates are. However, many news reports say he is an example of the American Dream. I say he is the American Nightmare. He earned his money as a malpractice lawyer. Okay, insert anti-lawyer joke here (sorry Bridget). In any case, the way by which he practiced law is despicable. He pioneered the practice of suing a psychiatrist after a patient committed suicide. However, he specialized in suing OB/GYN doctors for children born with cerebral palsy. Now let me give a couple medical facts (I am a biased doctor after all): insults that cause cerebral palsy occur well before delivery and there has never been any proven correlation between cerebral palsy and delivery technique. So what did Edwards do to win his cases? He twisted the medical facts and played on the heartstrings of the jury. This is a direct quote from an article in The Washington Times, a surprisingly anti-Edwards article from this newspaper:

"Linking complications during childbirth to cerebral palsy became a specialty for Mr. Edwards. In the courtroom, he was known to dramatize the events at birth by speaking to jurors as if he were the unborn baby, begging for help, begging to be let out of the womb."
Edwards' malpractice suits leave bitter taste

Are you kidding me? The article makes me want to punch Edwards in the nose! In one particular case, he sued the OB doctor, anesthesiologist, the OB clinic AND the hospital involved. That got a pretty $23 million settlement. Oh, that's great for the "victim" right? Not so much after Edwards takes his 50%!!! The guy has almost single-handedly destroyed the health care system in his home state of North Carolina. Read the article for numerous examples of how his actions have directly resulted in thousands losing health care and access to medical care. If he gets elected, I wonder how long before the entire system collapses.

In a recent announcement, Edwards also revealed that the breast cancer his wife had previously been treated for was back. This is a very sad thing. I honestly feel terrible for her and her family. She is relatively young and has developed a recurrance with metastatic spread. I'm sorry to say this is almost a death sentence. So what does Edwards do? He holds a press conference stating that the show must go on! He will continue to run for president while his wife gets treatment. This brings up the title of this post... WHAT A DOUCHE BAG!!! If my wife developed a life-threatening illness that was almost assuredly fatal, I would drop everything to be with her. Instead, Edwards will hit the compaign trail. He will rely on the very same doctors (that he worked long and hard to destroy) to save her life. I have to wonder how long until he sues somebody regarding her treatment.

I recently read with joy an article about Edwards after the recent New Hampshire Democratic debate. In the last poll before the debate, Edwards (21%) was in a virtual dead heat with Clinton (27%) and Obama (20%). After the debate, Edwards plummeted. The new poll shows a significant drop with Edwards only having 12%. Apparently he must have screwed up at the debate. This is a really good thing. There are still a lot of people that think he is a good guy, so let's stomp that out.

4 comments:

Bridget said...

Wow. Thanks for the info, Ted. I had no idea. I'm a nice attorney, I sue very few people. And I would never attack the doctors. Or the restaurants. Those are people you want on your side, so it doesn't make much sense to piss them off and create a life-long grudge against you. And I though the same thing about his wife's cancer...I actually think that he's trying to use her illness to garner the sympathy vote. Despicable.

Kevin said...

Hey, my wife is a lawyer too! Why didn't she get a shout-out?

Oh, and I'm voting for Fred Thompson. Not so much because I like him; I honestly have no idea what his views are. But I do know about McCain, Romney, and Giuliani, and I know they all suck. Plus, Fred Thompson was really cool on Law & Order.

Anonymous said...

Great write-up Ted. I do read quite a lot on politics and the guy is quite the douche. You'll not catch me carrying Bush's water for him, but the alternative in 2004 was this Silky Pony™ as VP. I wonder how many times the Democrats look back at who they had running in 2004 and kick themselves. What a trainwreck.

Teddy said...

Yeah, the final race should be very interesting next year. Looks like the Dems will have either a female candidate or a black candidate. That up against the GOP who will have a white-bread male. It should be interesting to see if America will seriously consider a non-white male. I would bet not. However, if Romney gets the GOP nod, then all bets are off. Those Mormans are crazy!