The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Monday, June 25, 2007

!Estados Unidos, Campeons!



Viva USA!! As you may or may not know, the USA played and won the 2007 Gold Cup this summer, their second Gold Cup Championship in a row. Of course the global sports leader choose to air exactly zero matches, but luckily in Chicago all of the games were telecast live on Telefutura, our local Mexican affiliate. Also, I had the distinct pleasure to view the championship live at Soldier Field yesterday. Initially, I predicted a Mexican-US fan ratio of 70%-30%. However, after arrival I quickly changed that to 90%-10%, and that was being generous to US fans such as myself. The stadium was electric, easily one of the greatest sporting events I have ever witnessed, and the outcome was a thing of beauty, an ugly 2-1 US victory. I give credit to Mexico for attacking even with a lead, however it did open the way for the US to score the equalizer in 2nd half. Also, I was fortunate enough to sit in the section where a massive 40 person Mexican vs. Mexican brawl erupted immediately following the 2nd US goal. Beers and fists flew at a rapid pace, but the only thing I caught was some ketchup on my pants. However, after the 2nd goal you could have poured 10 beers on me and I wouldn't have cared; actually 10 beers were poured on me, but I didn't mind, because the USA es los campeons!

3 comments:

ian said...

God, how about those absolute sitters that Ching and Beasley missed? That game could've easily been 6-1 US had they not squandered those two open goals and if Osvaldo Sanchez didn't discover a time machine to take his skills back to 2002.

I'm really interested to see how this carries over to the US-Argentina game this Thursday. Copa America suddenly looks more interesting...

Teddy said...

Ian, did you have the game in DC? No luck here in NOLA. I called Colin right after it was over to get the scoop.

I do like Coach Bradley so far. He seems to really be able to utilize the players he has tactically. He subs people getting schooled, and sticks with guys who seem to turn it on. Someday, maybe the US will have a true forward. That day seems far off right now.

As for the Argentina game, we are toast. I think Keller is the only star playing. Copa America could be awesome though.

ian said...

My cable package provides:
Telefutura
Univision
GolTV
Fox Soccer Channel

My bases on covered - much to Steph's chagrin - when in comes to watching soccer at home...

As for Bradley, until he realizes that Onyewu and Bornstein are not viable defenders and Mastroeni is a one-trick pony, he's still just 'Eh' in my books...