The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

My glorious Rocket past


OK, so I was really bored at work today and wandered onto the McNicholas HS website (www.mcnhs.org). I actually enjoy looking at the track pages because they are very well kept up by the current coach - Dan Rosembaum. He also has all the old records back up - of which 2 Heffernans are there (Colin is 50.5 for the 400, and Colin and I are still on the best 4x400 team at 3:25.2).

But anywho, I was looking at last seasons performance of McNick soccer. Led by the sagacious head coach - Chris Kanis - and his excellent assistants - Padre and Chris Steuer, the Rockets achieved a stellar record of 2-14 on the pitch, with victories over Roger Bacon and Withrow. Unfortunately, on the season the Rockets were outscored to 68 to 11, with 9-0 blowouts to both St. X and Moeller. Just about every other game was a blowout, as can be told by the total score on the season. And there's no hope in site, what with the wondrous Jeff Hutchinson leading the reserve team to ignominous defeat as well.

I remember Ted's and Ian's years at McNick, where the soccer team was a power to be reckoned with. And I remember how even with Berning as coach, we managed to win a district title. However, McNick is now terrible, and for some reason I'm happy about that. Maybe it's because I know my junior year team was the last great team before the death spiral that began senior year. I just like to know that after I left McNick soccer, it was never as good again as it was under my watch.

1 comment:

ian said...

The only true barometer of McNicholas soccer prowess, the Alumni Game, was removed after successive thrashings by Brian Berning.

When I played for the McNicholas team we never lost to an Alumni team. They were good games, but we always edged the alums. While I played for the Alumni we never scored fewer than 7 goals against the varsity team.

Just because you make it go away doesn't mean you're any better...