The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Monday, March 27, 2006

George Mason is my hero


So I have no idea who George Mason the person is/was, but my guess is that he's celebrating along with the rest of us at the providence of his namesake basketball team.

Yeah, I had UConn winning it all, and it would have given me a much better chance of winning the bracket pool if they had beat the Patriots, but I just couldn't help but root for the men in green. Yeah, I'm done in my bracket, but I've got a solid 4th place finish. I almost had no no team left that I could really get behind and root for in the Final Four - I hate Florida and UCLA, UConn is only OK (since they're Big East), and I've gotten sick of hearing about "Big Baby" and LSU. But now I have George Mason Partiots, the biggest Cinderella to make the Final Four since 1986's LSU team (also an 11 seed).

Can George Mason win? I don't know. I never gave them them a chance again UConn. And when it went into overtime, I considered it over. UConn had squashed Albany and Washington in similar finishes - George Mason would just be the next victim. But after watching them dominate inside on the big UConn players, I think this George Mason team has got something going. They've survived some big, tough opponents, and I think they have a shot against Florida.

Also, I'd like to point out that Jim Nance and Billy Packer were rude, unprofessional jerks to the NCAA Selection Committee chairman for not including more power conference schools. George Mason was a team they grilled the guy on - saying that league rival Hofstra, or Cincinnati should have made the tournament rather than the Patriots. Nance and Packer made no mention of their open hostility towards the chairman during Sunday's games, something which I distinctly noticed. They are able to accuse and berate, but neither can be apologetic and humble when proven wrong. George Mason, keep making Nance and Packer look stupid!

No comments: