The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

HDTV Underway


One of the conditions of me sacrificing my thumbs, knuckles, and back over the past year as I finished our basement was that I get to buy an HDTV upon completion. Well, the basement is finished. You know what that means? That's right, baby, a new HDTV!

I did a lot of research before buying and a lot of questions needed to be answered:

  1. Plasma, LCD, or DLP?
    I decided that Plasma was too pricey and the DLP was just too big since you can't get DLP less than 42-inches. LCD offered the best combination of sizes and cost.
  2. Size?
    Given that most HDTVs are widescreen, a 26-inch model is much smaller than a 26-inch CRT. 32-inches seemed like a good compromise between picture size and overall cabinet size.
  3. Connectivity options?
    HDMI was a must, as were multiple component video inputs. I wasn't too concerned with CableCard since it's still only single-stream and I must have my on-screen guide.


After a lot of soul searching I settled upon the Dell W3201C (I know, I'm normally a Sony junkie, but their HDTVs are just too expensive). It's a 32-inch LCD with a ton of connectivity options (HDMI x2, component x2, composite), detachable speakers, and it looks great to boot. I still had two problems though - 1) Since it was a Dell, I had nowhere to view the actual picture quality and 2) It was a bit more expensive than I was hoping to spend.

Well, the first problem was solved as we travelled out west to visit Bridget over the New Year holiday. During our layover in Dallas there was a Dell electronics stand directly across from our gate. They had the 3201 on display and not only did the picture look great, but the TV itself was the best looking television I had seen. Stephanie agreed that the picture quality was outstanding and the external aesthetics were impressive and we were one step closer...

The next hurdle worked itself out the other day as Dell put together the perfect storm of purchase incentives - $200 off the 3201, no interest for 18 months, and free shipping. That, combined with an additional $100 discount Stephanie receives through Discovery, and we were in business. So last night the TV was ordered and should arrive with time to spare for Super Bowl XL. So say hello to my soon-to-be new HDTV...



Once the TV arrives I'm planning on getting an HDTV DVR through my cable provider. I'll post another entry and some photos once everything is setup and working.

So if anyone wants to visit DC this summer, I hear ABC and ESPN are broadcasting every single World Cup game in HD. Just saying...

11 comments:

Colin and Liz said...

I hate you, so very, very much. Also HDMI x 2 is freaking awesome. Now when HD-DVD (or Blu-Ray) comes out, you'll be totally set. Plus, the amount of wires behind your TV will decrease substantially. No more S-video, component or composite video, RCA, or even coaxial. HDMI has sound and video, wow. I think I may need to book a flight.

Kevin said...

Over Christmas, Teresa's dad and I were given the task of purchasing an HDTV for their new basement. As money wasn't much of an option, we settled on a Vizio 50-inch plasma. I know, I'd never heard of Vizio either (and it's not made by Microsoft), but the picture quality was extremely good and it only cost $2,400. That's pretty cheap as far as plasma's go. We got it at Costco, where the warranty doesn't expire as long as you have an active membership. Unfortunately the first first thing watched on the TV was the ND-OSU game, which was painful in all its HD quality. We could even see the grimaces on the ND fans in the stadium.

That said, HD is the bomb. Do you have HD-ready cable yet? When are you getting it installed if not? Because an HDTV look terrible when watching a normal TV signal. It amplifies the poor quality of the regular cable feed. But man, there's nothing like watching Lost on ABC-HD!

Colin and Liz said...

I did some more research on TV's similar to this, and I have to say you definitely bought the best 32 inch LCD TV on the market. CNET, and practically everyone who owns this TV agree with this as well.

Kevin said...

Ian, are you planning on running the sound through the TV, or will you have a surround-sound system in your basement? What's the point of a beautiful picture without fantastic sound?

ian said...

Actually, this is all going to be upstairs and as such will probably only be 3.1 as I hate running the wires and setting up the surround speakers.

Teddy said...

I'm sticking with my 27" CRT for 4 more years. Also, my stereo and surround system will not be changed during that time. For those counting, I got all my gear when I started my first job in 1998! That will make it all 10 years old when I upgrade!!!

Sounds pretty excrutiating when I look at it like that. The only satisfaction I have is that when I do finally get my stuff, it will be reference standard (those are my 2 favorite electronics words ever)! I'm talking a custom home media room that will be computer controlled, with the best HDTV and sound system I can get! HD-DVD should be worked out by then too.

Until then, I will watch the technology advances and take a lot of notes.

Colin and Liz said...

Ted drinks his own pee.

ian said...

The thing about reference standard is this - unless you have a computer analyzing the signals, 99.9% of the people out there couldn't differentiate between a $10k, reference standard system and a $1k, simply good system. Plus, at the rate the technology changes why spend $10k on a system that will be obsolete in 2-3yrs time? As I'm sure Ted will do, just shop around before dropping obscene amounts of money. Why but a $8k HDTV if you can't see a difference in picture quality from one that only costs $1500...

Teddy said...

I can see the difference, and that's all that matters. Also, if my 27" TV made it 10 years, I think an HDTV will last a few too. That's the whole point. If you buy the best, it will last.

By the way, Blue-Ray and HD-DVD both just announced that their players will only support HD through HDMI. That's hilarious! Everyone who bought HD TVs before HDMI was standard is screwed. They'll have to get a new HDTV to watch a HD movie!

Joy + Tom said...

Huh???

Kevin said...

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is the first and only industry-supported, uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface. HDMI provides an interface between any audio/video source, such as a set-top box, DVD player, or A/V receiver and an audio and/or video monitor, such as a digital television (DTV), over a single cable.

HDMI supports standard, enhanced, or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio on a single cable. It transmits all ATSC HDTV standards and supports 8-channel digital audio, with bandwidth to spare to accommodate future enhancements and requirements.

In other words, instead of having 1 huge cable for your video signal, and 3 other cables for your audio, you have only the HDMI connection to make. It's pretty nifty.

Blue-Ray and HD-DVD are competing to become the industry standard technology for high definition DVD movies, a la betamax and VHS for videocassettes.