The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Shut the Hell Up About Jay Cutler!!!


I drive an hour to work and an hour home every third week. That just happens to be this week. That gives me a lot of time to listen to the sports shows on the radio. When I am making this commute, I always have my finger on the pulse of the sports world. So this week, after two amazing NFL League Championship games, you'd think all the talk would be about the Packers and Steelers in the upcoming Super Bowl, right?

WRONG!!!

All anyone on any station is talking about is Jay Cutler, and his lack of toughness. The need for every player and every broadcaster to chime in his or her two cents is absolutely nauseating. Today I was relegated to listening to the PGA Channel. That's right, I listened to golf on the radio! Anyway, every opinion has at least these two components:
  • I am not a doctor
  • I don't know how Cutler really felt
Well guess what? I have an opinion too, and I will echo the above components of every idiot opinion:
  • I AM A FU$^&ING DOCTOR
  • I HAVE HAD THE SAME EXACT INJURY AS CUTLER, SO I KNOW HOW HE FELT
Look, I'm not a Bears fan, and I'm not a Cutler fan, so I have no horse in this race. However, I look at knee MRIs every day, and I know what these injuries look like and feel like. There is no way Cutler could have played following his knee injury. According to reports, Cutler had a grade 2 MCL sprain (see above). That means he tore through the ligament, but some fibers remained intact. Good news - it will heal without surgery. Bad news - it hurts like hell. Worse news - playing could lead to a major injury and future surgery. The MCL is a major knee stabilizer. When it goes, the next damage pathway is the ACL and medial meniscus - the so called "terrible triad." If Cutler would have taken another hit, he probably would have had to undergo major knee surgery and miss much of the next season.

Even so, Cutler tried to play and came out in the 2nd half for a series. He realized he had no stability and couldn't throw. So he went out. When I got my MCL injury, it hurt so bad I thought my knee had exploded! It swelled up like a balloon, and I couldn't walk for a week. I wore an immobilizer for a month, and a brace for several months after that and through rehab. I can't believe Cutler was even on the sideline standing up!

So question Cutler's ability or decision making on the field, but don't question his heart. As for his supposed "disinterest" on the sidelines... How would you feel if you were on the verge of Super Bowl greatness, and you got knocked out of the game, and your team's season was over. I'd be pissed and despondent. Maybe he should have been happy and joking. Oh wait - the media crucified Derek Anderson for that already this year. What the hell is a player supposed to do on the sidelines when he is out and the game is over. I'm not sure what the media wants.

I guess anyone else at QB other than Jay Cutler.

5 comments:

ian said...

This is a side-effect of FOX, CBS, ESPN, NBC, and NFL Network hiring what appears to be every NFL player that retires in a given year. It's easy to point fingers from the comfort of the studio. It was always a tougher league when these former players played. They endured 6-foot snowdrifts with lightning crashing down and didn't even have helmets! It's even worse when the criticism comes from non-players - guys like Peter King who equate Starbucks running out of Egg Nog latte with being waterboarded.

Teddy said...

The worst is Deion Sanders. He has no business being on TV as a commentator. He "mentors" so many people in the NFL, college and high school, there is no way he can give an honest opinion. Everything he says is biased toward his friends and protegees. Sure all ex-athletes have the same bias, but he takes the cake.

And Deion questions Cutler's toughness???!!! This from a guy who missed most of 2 seasons with a vicious case of turf toe. This from a guy who mastered the art of defense without having to ever tackle a player. He was fast and could cover, but I would like to see Deion ever make a hit!

Kevin said...

Anyone else see the pictures of Cutler in LA with his girlfriend? No brace, no limp, no problems at all. I can understand and agree about him in the game, but you don't have a magical recovery 2-weeks later from a Grade-2 MCL sprain/partial-tear. Something fishy is going on.

Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp credit card debt
consolidating credit card debt

Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp credit companies
paying off credit card debt