The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

USA! USA! USA!


I'm surprised they didn't disallow the goal, ruling Dempsey offside.

Holy S**t! That was the best, most emotional game I've ever seen!
  • USA Win? CHECK.
  • USA Win in most dramatic way possible? CHECK.
  • Improbably winning our group over England? CHECK.
  • Advancing to a sugary sweet draw in the round of 16 (Ghana, then Uruguay/S. Korea)? CHECK.
I can't say enough about this team. First, you have that amazing comeback against Slovenia that really should've been a win. Then we almost go down early, again, against Algeria only to see another perfectly good goal disallowed. But the team kept their wits and Donovan, a player who as recently as this time last year I despised but who I have grown to love since, came through just before the final whistle.

Special props to Bob Bradley who made some gutsy calls today. Dropping Onyewu to make way for Bornstein? Paid off. And then he left nothing in the tank, bringing on all offense as the game wound down searching for the winner. Hard to believe, but he has outcoached every opponent we've faced. I know I've given him a lot of grief over the years, but... well played, sir!

Now I just need to get my game jersey washed before Saturday after soaking it in sweat today. Payback is a bitch, Ghana!


2 comments:

Kevin said...

I watched this one at work in our cafeteria with about 150 other Nationwide employees. After Dempsey hit the post, lots of profanity could be heard (mine included) But when Lando scored in injury time, as the annoucer's said, you couldn't have written a more dramatic ending in a script!

Teddy said...

I too watched at work, in the doctors lounge with a bunch of foreign docs. By the end, I was pacing like a caged animal. When Donovan scored, pandemonium.

By the way Landon, way to use the biggest moment of your life to make a move for your ex-wife! That was f-ing smooth! I hope he gets the girl too!