The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Monday, June 07, 2010

Nevermind...


Remember this post I made a few months back? Well, let me go ahead and remove my foot from my mouth to say I take it back. I take it all back. Sorry, Apple...

I had the chance to play with an Android device quite extensively this past week. And it didn't leave me with a great taste in my mouth. In fact, it left me very much appreciating what I have with my iPhone.

It's not that Android is bad, per se, but it reminds me very much of Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntu is a great OS, but pales in a usability comparison to OS X or Windows 7. There are just things that both of those latter OSes have learned and implemented over time that make them a much more pleasant experience. That's how I see Android at this stage in the game. It's nice, and it gives you some much appreciated freedom, but it's no match for the veterans.

With a computer you may be willing to make some compromises for your freedom, because working in that environment is a not a big deal if you know what you're doing. All the tools and software you need to tinker are provided. Not so in the mobile world. Although you are free to tinker, you'll be voiding warranties on your device. Also, doing the tinkering is much more difficult because the environment just wasn't made to do that. You tinker and you brick your phone and you're done. No reinstalling the OS.

In the end, I learned to appreciate what I have in the iPhone. At the end of the day, it's a phone first and a device second. If I can't install PostgreSQL or download apps with *ahem* questionable content, I guess that's a sacrifice I can make for a phone that I don't have to swear at.

UPDATE (6/11): So it seems that Motorola's co-CEO has promised a 2GHz Android super phone by year's end that will make iPhone 4 look like two cans attached by a piece of string. I guess I'll just upgrade my 3GS's OS in a couple weeks then continue to hold off to avoid buyer's remorse. Seriously, with the way manufacturers are upping the ante with their devices combined with the draconian contracts that wireless companies make you sign and nobody is going to upgrade their device for fear that it will be obsolete in two weeks. It's like Moore's Law on steroids...

2 comments:

Colin and Liz said...

you'll be singing a different tune after playing with liz's htc droid incredible. it is, in a word, neat.

Colin and Liz said...

no, wait, i meant to say it is incredible!