The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Friday, December 04, 2009

World Cup 2010


In case you guys missed it, the World Cup draw took place last night and today. The US was not one of the seeded teams, but we did get a pretty good draw. Her's how the group stage plays out:

Group A: France, Mexico, South Africa, Uruguay (France, Mexico)
Group B: Argentina, Greece, Nigeria, South Korea (Argentina, South Korea)
Group C: Algeria, England, Slovenia, United States (England, USA)
Group D: Australia, Germany, Ghana, Serbia (Germany, Australia)
Group E: Cameroon, Denmark, Japan, Netherlands (Netherlands, Cameroon)
Group F: Italy, New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia (Italy, Slovakia)
Group G: Brazil, Ivory Coast, North Korea, Portugal (Brazil, Portugal)
Group H: Chile, Honduras, Spain, Switzerland (Spain, Switzerland)

I've put my selections for who advances (2 teams from each group) in parentheses. I'm probably totally wrong, but some of these are no-brainers. I do say that someone really likes Germany, Italy and England, as those groups are not very good.

I'm hopeful that the USA can qualify for the second round, but we usually suck in the World Cup Finals, so my expectations are low. Maybe if we get schooled the USSF will hire a decent coach. Yeah, and I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

2 comments:

Teddy said...

I can't believe you beat me to the punch on this post! Must not be very busy at that NEW JOB!!!

I love our draw. Even though England is dominant, they play a style that we match up well against. Plus it will be fun to watch the chaos if we pull the upset! I think we are a favorite to advance.

Kevin, you show no love for Africa! South Africa will advance as will Nigeria (South Korea???). Italy's draw is a joke. Group of Death - Group G.

ian said...

Better yet about the draw - if we do make it to round 2, we shouldn't have it too bad as Group D is one of the weaker overall groups.