The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

I Need to Remember My Phone Has a Camera


Last night I had to hit up Giant to get some milk for Zoe. As I'm leaving the store I hear the signature yipping of a small dog - with Doppler effect. It's 9 o'clock at night, about 30 degrees, I've just left the gym, and I'm confusedly sweating and trying to figure out where this strange noise is coming from. Then I look to my left and see a small light coming slowly towards me. The yipping is coming from the light. As it gets closer I can finally make out the origin of the sound, and I am awesomely rewarded...

An older Asian gentleman is riding a motorized scooter (did I mention it was 30 degrees?) with a flashlight bungee-corded to the handlebars, groceries bungee-corded to the back, and a small dog bungee-corded to his leg. The dog is barking at everyone he passes, and the man gives me a stern look as he passes and I devolve into laughter. Seconds later I pass a young kid going into the store with his mom and I overhear him asking, "Did that guy have a dog in his lap?"

There have been more situations than I can count when I've seen something so unbelievable or hilarious or both that I've said to myself, "I wish I could take a picture of this because no one will believe it happened" - like the time I saw a van painted exactly like the van from the A Team (replete with spoiler) while riding my bike into work - only to have the moment pass with me forgetting my super fancy phone can take pictures and video. Hopefully, the next time I'll have proof...

No comments: