The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Monday, April 06, 2009

Opening Day


April 6. Big Day. Opening Day. Well, at least for most baseball teams, it is. We'll just ignore the Phillies game from yesterday. Yes, today marks the start of the long baseball season. It also makes me think of summer, which is nice. Unfortunately, it also means I all my false-hope from the offseason, all my thinking of "This is The Year!", will soon come crashing down on me. Because the Cincinnati Reds are going to stink again this year, just like they have the past 8 years.

None of these guys play for the Reds.

I like to think the Reds can be good again, but my hope has been proven wrong again and again, so I've decided not to try anymore. Sure, I'll still watch the Reds and root them on, but is it too much to ask that they go .500? Probably.

I've still got that inkling of hope, though, so the Reds haven't totally deserted my heart. I see potential in guys like Joey Votto and Jay Bruce, and picking up Wily Taveras was a good sign as well. Even Francisco Cordero is a good closer. Harang and Arroyo need to have good years, and maybe, just maybe, Homer Bailey will finally be good enough to play pro ball. Unfortunately, there are a lot of if's, maybe's, and hope's in this statement. Which I why I'll be hoping for a W-L of 82 and 80 this year. I don't need miracles, I just need production!

I'll probably be proven wrong again this year, we'll likely end up somewhere shy of 80 wins. But maybe, just maybe, we can sneak into the playoffs? Yeah, and I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

Opening Day in Cincinnati: Red vs. Mets
First Pitch: 1:10PM

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Nevermind. Wily Taveras has the flu and is out today. It's definitely a sign of things to come.

Colin and Liz said...

i watched the reds-mets debacle. get ready for a hefty dose of 1-run reds losses this year. good offense/no pitching. good pitching/no offense. such is life as a reds fan.