The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I Hate You, ESPN


Last night I got a call from Colin around 8:30p. I assumed it had something to do with our soccer game the next day, our pending vacation, or Steph's birthday. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that ESPN was airing the Reds-Astros game with the Yankees game rained out. So I turn on the TV, only to find a Pirates-Marlins game with about 38 people in the stands. Apparently, ESPN just lost their s%&t completely without their beloved Yankees (or Red Sox) available and just started jumping between games willy-nilly. Anyway, the Reds game was on periodically so I was mollified and it allowed me to get some other things done while they switched around.

Cut to the 7th inning - Reds are batting, down 3-2 after Arroyo served up a couple solo homers to blow a 2-1 lead, with a man on second. A single puts runners on the corner. Then a walk loads the bases and Joey Votto - arguably the Reds best hitter thus far - comes to the plate. I'm glued to the screen. Pitcher gets the signs, and...

ESPN cuts to the motherf$%king studio and starts talking about the motherf@#king Yankees rain out...

Are you kidding me! The bases are loaded, 1 out, with one of the best young hitters in the game at the plate and you want to talk about a game that has been canceled!? Guess what, ESPN - there are actually sports fans that live outside of New York city and Boston. I know! I couldn't believe it either, but I looked at a map and everything and there it was, much to my surprise - an entire freaking country. Apparently, NYC and Boston are just cities, part of a larger nation with over 250m citizens.

This is why ESPN is quickly alienating viewers and customers. I actually no longer visit ESPN.com (in favor of FOX Sports and SI) and with the availability of league owned channels for NBA, MLB, and NFL rarely watch any of the studio shows ESPN puts together. Last week, ESPN was actually showing the movie 'Tin Cup' in primetime. Tin. Cup. There were probably about 20 different sporting events to choose from and they were showing a crappy Kevin Costner golf movie. They also recently lost rights to the UEFA Champions League to FOX Soccer Channel. I have no idea what's going on over there, but I'm done. D-O-N-E.

Oh, and that at bat with the bases loaded? Votto doubled to drive in 2 and the Reds won 4-3. Thanks a lot, a$$holes...

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I saw both Joey Votto's double and the remainder of the game, including Arthur Rhodes pitching out of a bases-loaded jam in the 8th and Francisco Cordero closing out the 9th. I love Fox Sports Ohio!