The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Ahhhh! Nooooooo!



The following was posted by Trent Reznor at NIN.com yesterday...
In NIN world, 2009 marks the 20th anniversary of our first releases. I've been thinking for some time now it's time to make NIN disappear for a while. Last year's "Lights in the Sky" tour was something I'm quite proud of and seems like the culmination of what I could pull off in terms of an elaborate production. It was also quite difficult to pull off technically and physically night after night and left us all a bit dazed. After some thought, we decided to book a last run of shows across the globe this year. The approach to these shows is quite different from last year - much more raw, spontaneous and less scripted. Fun for us and a different way for you to see us and wave goodbye. I reached out to Jane's to see if they'd want to join us across the US and we all felt it could be a great thing. Will it work? Will it resonate in the marketplace? Who knows. Are there big record label marketing dollars to convince you to attend? Nope.
Does it feel right to us and does it seem like it will be fun for us and you? Yes it does.
Look for tour dates soon and I hope to see you out there.

Trent
I'm an NIN junkie, and any true fan of music should at least appreciate the innovation, quality, and musicianship that Reznor pours into each of his releases. For awhile I've been realizing that a lot of the bands I've grown up with are getting pretty old. When Reznor said it'd been 20 years since PHM I said, "No f&*(ing way...". Then I did the math and became sad. What am I going to do as my NINs, QOTSAs, Radioheads, Weezers, Beastie Boys, Local Hs, and others decide to unstring their guitars? I've seen the watered down horror shows that became of such once-great acts as the Rolling Stones who didn't know when to quit and I just don't want my favorites to go that route.

Anyway, I'm truly hoping that this hiatus that Reznor describes is short-lived. He's been on such an incredible creative streak these past few years that it seems like I've gotten a new NIN fix every few months. I guess I just always expected them to keep their hard-rocking vitality alive through groupies as I slowed down, but, alas, I guess age gets to everyone eventually. Growing up sucks...



2 comments:

rhett said...

I saw this a couple of days ago and I, too, was taken aback. If I can't have my NIN, Weezer, Green Day, Beatie Boys, etc. then the world might as well end. By the way, getting old really sucks: I've got some gray hairs. Yikes.

Teddy said...

I realized this problem a while ago, as the pop music of the current decade has been entirely depressing. Hip-hop is good for a catchy song every year or so, but is totally redundant otherwise.

You can try to find new bands, and the internet age makes that possible. But really, if they were any good, you would have heard of them already!

My solution... Go back in time. Yeah, it's lame, but there are so many good bands and albums from the 80's before I knew anything other than MTV, from the 70's and from the 60's. I find new awesome albums all the time when I hear a song on TV or in a movie and go back and check out the band. Besides, it's cool to listen to classic rock!