The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

8 Days of Waiting


Fogginess is expected from weather and heavy drinking

On Feb. 11, 2009 the next installment of the heated USA vs. Mexico soccer rivalry is taking place. And while many of my family members cast disparaging remarks about Columbus, OH, it's one of the few places in this country where the game can be played without it being a Mexican home game. It also means that I'm going to the game.

Tickets are sold out and it ought to be a solid representation of the Red, White and Blue. I myself am planning on taking a half-day to tail-gate prior to the game. I'm getting fired up for this game, because of, as Will Farrell said, "my intense hatred for immigrants [from Mexico]". The US has been dominant recently in the series, and I hope they keep it up. We're calling back our top players from abroad, all for my viewing enjoyment.

In the meantime, check out this story by Noah Davis. I tend to agree that it's one of the best rivalries in the world, because the teams are evenly matched, the supporters have such a passion for the game, and because Mexico is a third world country. I predict a 3-1 win by the US.

3 comments:

Teddy said...

Is this a CONCACAF World Cup qualifier?

rhett said...

"...and because Mexico is a third world country." This line cracked me up for some reason.

Kevin said...

Yup, it's a CONCACAF qualifying match.