The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Is Television a Right?


I am baffled by the political bickering going on around the fast approaching transition to digital television. I am baffled on so many levels that I felt like making a post. Maybe somebody can explain this to me.

As many of you likely know, February 17, 2009 has long been marked as the date that analog signals will no longer be broadcast. I've known about it for at least 5 years, and they have continuously pushed the date back before settling on Feb 17 over a year ago. When that happens, TVs that use an analog antenna to get reception will no longer pick up signals. Anyone who has cable, satellite or even a digital antenna will see no change whatsoever. In their benevolence, the US Government allocated $1.3 billion for coupons to allow people to purchase digital antennas. The problem is that the government claims that 6.5 million households still use an analog antenna to get TV signals, and they will be blacked out next month!

Today, the house voted on extending the deadline until June to allow more time for these poor people to complete the upgrade. Thank the Lord Almighty that the Republicans stood up and said "NO", defeating the motion along strict party lines. The change is still on for February 17. Democrats decried the GOP and Bush for mismanaging the transition. However, the Senate still approved an additional $650 million for the coupon program.

So I have a number of problems with this issue:
  • Why is it the governments responsibility to make sure every American can watch TV?
  • Does anyone know a single person that has an analog antenna as their only source of TV? Who are these 6.5 million households?
  • How long will it take these morons to switch? They've had at least 5 years already. Is another 4 months really going to make a difference?
  • This will cost broadcast companies millions if they are forced to continue analog service, not good in the current recession.
  • Could we maybe find a better use for $1.3 billion + $650 million in this time of economic crisis?
  • Do the sales of digital antennas match the coupons? I'll bet most people just get the free money and do other things with it.
  • How is this the evil GOP and Bush's fault?
Weather or not the transition occurs has no effect on me, as I get my signals from cable. However, if this thing gets delayed again, I am going to $%it an antenna out of my @$$!!! The fact that TV is such an issue is a complete joke! Maybe it would be a good thing - no, it would be a great thing if the TV went dead at these homes, as well as all the rest of ours. Maybe these fat @$$es would get their butts off the couch, exercise, look for a job or be a parent to their 12 kids! I would be perfectly content if my TV became a monitor for Blu-ray.

"We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."


Anyone? Anyone? Yeah the Declaration of Independence. Maybe we should just throw TV right in there. Can you write an amendment to the Declaration of Independence?

TV is a luxury, not a right. There are better ways to find happiness.

4 comments:

Teresa said...

I am so with you Ted - really, since when is TV a right? But don't get me started on people who believe cable TV is a right and therefore have big screen TVs, but can't manage to get a job and pay the rest of their bills...I could go on, but I won't.

Teresa said...

Kevin says my comments are too serious, so, I guess I will stop commenting until I have something funny to say. But I promoise I'll still read all of your posts Ted and Ian! :-)

ian said...

Related story - one of Obama's big campaign pushes was to ensure broadband internet access was more widely available, as statistics showed a large percentage of the US population had slow, or no, internet access.
When they looked further, it turned out that it wasn't that broadband wasn't available - it was simply that people didn't want it! They said they didn't care and didn't want to waste their money, which obviously didn't sit well with the body politic.
Anyway, my point is this - maybe those folks haven't bought converters because they simply don't care if! If you're still using an analog antenna, odds are you're only getting a handful of fuzzy channels anyway. Maybe these folks would rather just save their money and use a radio.

rhett said...

You better not take away my fancy talking picture box!