The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Damn You, Christian Science Reading Room!


Last night we were at the mall browsing about in Barnes & Noble. I still had some gift cards to burn from my birthday and Christmas so I picked up a discounted ($6 hardcover) former bestseller called, 'Monster' by Frank Peretti. I read the jacket and it sounded like a novelization of Abominable, and I thought to myself, "This has the potential to be the greatest book ever!"

So as Zoe went to bed and Steph followed about 15 minutes later I settled in and started reading. I got exactly one(1) page when I became worried. It was not even the book, just the introductory pages with excerpted praise from reviewers - all of the comments included the word 'Christian', e.g.
One of the best Christian science-fiction writers of his generation!
Fargo Gazette
I start to wonder if I've made a serious mistake. Within the first 20 pages, as heathen Native Americans are being ripped to shreds by Bigfoot and simple, God-fearing white folks are left unharmed I realize what I've stumbled into. A few quick Google searches and my suspicions are confirmed. I just purchased (albeit using a gift card and for only $6) a book in which a Christian author tries to denounce evolution by saying that man did not evolve from apes, but rather apes were the forefathers of Bigfoot, Yeti, and Abominable Snowmen and God put man here on Earth exactly as he is today.

Not only was I furious that this agenda wasn't more prominently displayed on the jacket cover, I was furious with myself for indirectly helping to support this asinine movement. Needless to say, I immediately closed the book and threw it in the garbage - which is exactly where idiotic "theories" such as this belong.

So it appears the old cliche is true (for better or for worse) - you cannot judge a book by its cover!

3 comments:

Bridget said...

Do you suppose that the abominable snowman fought dinosaurs? Is that why they're extinct?

rhett said...

I thought that the Farside settled that smoking killed the dinosaurs!

Teddy said...

Sorry for the edit, but I had to see this amazing cover for myself!!!

I can see how it could suck unknowing, innocent Ian in. I am impressed that he saw through the thinly veiled anti-evolution agenda in only 20 pages. It took the pros almost half the book to figure it out. Check out the excerpt from the Amazon.com review below:

"More problematic, though, is the novel's agenda with regard to the theory of evolution. Not raised overtly until the middle of the book, Peretti's critique of certain aspects of Darwinism eclipses the story and leads it to an unsatisfying and somewhat confusing end. As in Peretti's previous novels, those who hold conservative views are portrayed as heroic and those who disagree as evil. The novel's devolution into this simplistic moralism, however, will not keep Peretti fans away, and its many merits may attract other readers as well."

And that cool cover!