The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Monday, February 18, 2008

The Güt Returns!


Hot of the presses, I have just been informed that the 2nd hardest working actor in the 1980's is making a triumphant return. That's right folks, Steve Guttenberg will be performing on this season's Dancing With The Stars!!!

Many of you may recall The Güt from such memorable roles as Officer Mahoney in Police Academy 1 through 4, Newton Crosby in Short Circuit, or the sensitive Michael in 3 Men and a Baby / Little Lady. But I like to remember The Güt for telling it like it is. Here are a couple recent memorable quotes courtesy of The Güt. They are from interviews that I strongly suggest you read here and here.

You had a string of hits in the 1980s. What have you been up to lately?
There are 100,000 actors in the Screen Actors Guild. Only 2,000 of them make more than $75,000 a year. That means 98,000 actors make less than $75,000 a year. From 1980 to 1990, I shot more films than any other actor in the Screen Actors Guild apart from Gene Hackman. Everyone keeps asking me that stupid question: "What are you doing?" I say: "Why do I need to do anything? I'm rich." Do you want me to be poor again? Do you want me to go back to making tomato soup out of ketchup and water? Or would you like me to be a multimillionaire and be rewarded for all the entertainment I gave you for all those years? I'm enjoying life now. If I was a plumber and I'd done the most plumbing jobs between 1980 and 1990, everyone would be saying: "What a great plumber" - he says "f**k you to the world and he's enjoying himself." But for some reason, as an actor, you're not allowed to say: "I'm f**king rich, bro."

Guttenberg on keeping the common touch:
I think about the little people. Not often. I spend most of my time with the people who work with me -- the woman who brushes my teeth, the man who puts on my shoes, my bedwarmers -- I have four or five women who sleep in my bed from 7 until 9 and then at 9:05 I ask them to leave and I go right in bed and it's snuggly.

God bless Steve F^%$ing Guttenberg.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those, indeed, are some awesome quotes and Steve Guttenberg belongs on the Mt. Rushmore that has yet to be chiseled for epic, cheesy 80's movies. First balloter for sure.

But let me get this straight. The AWESOME poster for Abominable bugs you, but a shirtless, oiled-up pin-up of the Jewish Jimmy Stewert doesn't??

Damn, he's one handsome man, though.