The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Who is...a SUPERSTAR?



This past Tuesday, I discovered that I'm better off relying on my brains and not my athletic prowess in contests from here on out. Gulp.

Formerly, I was a soccer SUPERSTAR (well, close to it, and I went to the World Cup), a basketball player (one season in fifth grade before all the kids got taller than me), a tee ball addict by age five (I cried until mom let me quit the team), a tennis pro consistently confused with Sharapova (I got a few cute outfits), a golfer (I got sun poisoning and refused to return to practice), a cheerleader (for the B team, and we were heckled by our own team. Seriously.), and an integral flag football team member (until it got too cold outside and I found I was just as happy eating leftover turkey from Thanksgiving). I also was a cross country runner and track SUPERSTAR in high school and college, and continued on to 5Ks and marathons as a young adult. Did I say SUPERSTAR yet?

I was so convinced of my athletic abilities up through the beginning of this summer that I organized and 'coached' a sand volleyball team consisting of associates from my office - a law firm. During the regular season, we played eight games...and lost eight games. No really. Out of 24 matches, we only came out on top in two and still lost those overall games 2-1. Most of us continued to play because we got free beer at a local pub after the games.

This past Tuesday, the local pub started a trivia contest which, of course, we entered. And won. SUPERSTARS! Who would have guessed that a bunch of lawyers would lose eight weeks' worth of volleyball games, yet come out on top in the first trivia contest they ever entered as a team? It was thrilling to win in trivia and know those years of watching Jeopardy! have paid off, but also disturbing to realize how badly we sucked at athletics these days.

I don't know if I'm ready yet to say goodbye to my years as an athletic SUPERSTAR. I keep telling myself that knowing the city in which 2/5 of Alaska's total population lives (Anchorage) is worth something at the end of the day.



3 comments:

Teddy said...

Yay! Another Blogger!

That's awesome Bridget. I used to pay for my bar tabs in medical school by playing trivia. A bunch of guys would play once a week at BW3 for $10 each. Winner would take the pot. I used to clean up with my old id: CAESAR. Those were the days!

Kevin said...

That question about Anchorage is SO easy! Now a real tough one would have been what is the name of the southernmost island and smallest county in England? (Isle of Wight)

ian said...

It looks like you should've laid out in that picture. Why didn't you lay out? Why won't you sacrifice your body for your team? This is why girls aren't allowed in the Turkey Bowl...