The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Monday, July 15, 2013

Hooray for PBS!


I can't stand reality television. It was the first step in the dumbening (Is that how you spell dumbening? Wait, dumbening isn't even a word. Hmmm...) of America. I don't watch much television in general, but when I do I often find myself gravitating to PBS, or, at least, their imported BBC specials like Sherlock. Anyway, it looks like PBS shares my feelings regarding reality television based on a series of new ads mocking reality television, in general, and the portion of the populace that actually watches them, specifically. It started with a series of fake subway poster ads:


And it has since escalated into video parodies:


God bless you, PBS. Never change - except get rid of that horrible American Woodshop show and bring back New Yankee Workshop. Scott Phillips is a hack.

2 comments:

Teddy said...

Totally agree with Ian. TV in general has gone to the crapper. I don't really blame America though, I blame cable. There are SO MANY DAMN CHANNELS that they literally have to make shit up to put on the air. Every once in a while, something unusual becomes a hit.

Think of such "pioneers" as The Real World, Survivor, Deadliest Catch, Pawn Stars, Swamp People etc. Each one of this became a huge hit, and each spawned countless imitators. I'm sure the good folks at Duck Dynasty are great and really funny, but WHY DO I WANT TO WATCH OTHER PEOPLE LIVE THEIR "CONTRIVED" LIVES ON TV? I have my own life to live. Maybe most of America just hates their own life?

One thing I will say though. There actually are a TON of excellent shows on TV, mostly on the highbrow cable networks and pay networks. Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Dexter, Breaking Bad, Mad Men... These shows NEVER would have been on standard network TV. Cable has created a place for them, and they are no holds barred awesome.

In fact, there are just too many good shows for me to watch. So I constantly have to tell people who recommend stuff that I just don't have time to watch everything. I watch about 5 shows, and 2 of them are summer series. I have been seriously considering starting on Breaking Bad. I have been told by more than one person it is the best show ever.

Anonymous said...

Ted,

Stop considering and start Breaking Bad. Seriously.

Sincerely,
rench infidel