The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Thursday, October 04, 2012

Political Ramifications


No, I'm not going to talk politics to you. Heck, I didn't even watch the debate, and for the 15 seconds it was on in my house, all I wanted to do was puke. I did, however, find great humor in the fact that each candidate for president was wearing either a red tie (Romney), or a blue tie (Obama). Apparently they think they need to stick to their party colors.

My favorite thing about debates is finding out how each candidate spun the facts, worked the statistics, and generally exaggerated, embellished, or outright lied to the folks listening in at home. I saw a good article this morning doing fact checking on the presidential candidates positions. It brings to light a lot of the nuances that each candidate highlights to make his opponent look worse than he actually is, and to make their own ideas/policies sound better than they really are/were. And it is is not partisan, mostly.

The most eye-opening thing to me was the following statement: "It's true that China is the largest foreign holder of U.S. debt, but it only represents about an 8 percent stake. Some two-thirds of the $16 trillion national debt is owed to the federal government, with the largest single stake the Federal Reserve, as well as American investors and the Social Security Trust Fund."

No comments: