The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Monday, May 31, 2010

Saved!


We don't have a landline in the house (actually, we do, but's it's local calls only and pay-per-call and it's just there for emergencies). We've got our iPhones and AT&T for 99% of the phone calls we make and 100% of the phone calls we receive. Problem is, AT&T coverage sucks in our house. If I had one or two bars I was lucky. It was rare to get through a phone call without at least one drop, and whenever I had to make a call I'd have to wander around looking for the sweet spot to stand. Until now...

This weekend I purchased an AT&T 3G MicroCell for the house. Basically, it's a mini cell tower in our house that piggy-backs on our broadband. Setup took about 5min and we now have 5 bars anywhere in the house and the extended yard. You must provision allowed numbers for usage with it, which is a pro and a con - Pro: leaching neighbors can't steal your shit, Con: Visitors and guests are still screwed. For us, it is a lifesaver.

The downside is it did cost $150, which is bullshit that I should have to pay for AT&T's lack of coverage. But that's a small price to pay for peace of mind, I suppose. Besides Colin called me from our house using "The Network" during last week's baby fire drill and his call got dropped. So maybe our house is in some sort of cell phone black hole and we'd be plagued on any network. At least that's what I'm telling myself to make the expenditure more worthwhile.

2 comments:

Joy + Tom said...

I recall you had a similar problem with snow removal. It seems, my dear boy, that you are neither here nor there.

ian said...

Yeah, it's like we live in the flip zone!