The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Friday, April 09, 2010

A Brand New Car!


Don't know if you all heard or not, but my Hyundai Elantra got rear-ended at a stoplight about two weeks ago. Teresa and Sam were also in the car, and while everyone was alright, "Elaine", as I call(ed) my car, was totaled out. Elaine's other name was "Golf Cart" because she was made of plastic, had poor acceleration, and had a turning radius of about 28 inches. Because she was constructed of minimal metal, the rear impact buckled the floor of my trunk and that moved the rear frame of the vehicle forward about 1.5 inches. In the end, the damage was just too much for repairing and the insurance company totaled out Elaine. *sniffle*

However, the guy who hit me was a nice guy and had good insurance. There were no issues, no hassles, and I actually got more money in the settlement than I thought I'd get for the trade-in value on Elaine. So I was very happy. Also, Teresa and I were already in the planning stages for acquiring a new, larger vehicle. So while the timing was a little early, it was nice to have more money for a down-payment.

Teresa and my planning stages consisted of identifying that we wanted a 3-row vehicle that was not a mini-van. From there, all roads led to the Chevy Traverse. It's cheaper (usually) than it's sister vehicles, the GMC Acadia and the Buick Enclave. Teresa and I really liked it when we test drove it, and through some negotiations with a dealer about 5 minutes from our house, we got the version we wanted. For those keeping track:

2010 Chevy Traverse
  • LT w/ 2LT
  • Dark Gray
  • 2-2-3 Seating Design (captains chair's in second row)
  • Leather seating
  • Rear DVD Entertainment System
  • Personal Connectivity

We brought the new car home last night and I got to take it in to work today. I even got my bluetooth phone hooked up, so when you call my cell phone and I'm in the car, it's totally hands-free! For those of you around for Dad's and/or Sam's birthday, we'll be sure to give you a ride!


3 comments:

steph said...

Congrats. Sounds awesome.

Colin and Liz said...

kevin + any discussion of a car = analysis of turning radius

ian said...

Personal Connectivity? Are you sexing up your new car?