The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Friday, April 30, 2010

3D - Redux


So I went on and on about the future of 3D for home theater on a previous post. I guess my post relied on the premise that 3D was the future of movie theaters. However, I'm not so sure this is the case. I loved Avatar and How To Train Your Dragon in 3D. I saw both in Imax 3D. However, I have not seen the many other 3D movies that came out recently, which have been almost universally panned. Apparently, there is a big difference in the quality of 3D. Avatar and Dragon were 3D from the ground up. Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans were most certainly not. These were converted to 3D for the studios to cash in and make a ton of money charging an extra $5 for a ticket.

I read an article today by Roger Ebert titled, "Why I Hate 3-D (And You Should Too)". Okay, Roger Ebert is as old as the hills. His favorite movie is still probably Citizen Kane. He has dodged the Reaper more than one time, and he now looks like a zombie and can no longer talk. But that guy knows his damn movies!!! Ebert eloquently discusses the inside scoop on 3D in Hollywood today in 9 clear points. Bottom line: 3D is just a techno trick that studios are pushing to make more money and get an edge over home theater. Better technology is out there to display movies, and maybe updating the old 24 fps standard is the better way to go. Give his article a read. The best 3D discussion that I have read.

As for my thoughts on home theater... I still think it is coming. However, I now realize (after watching Avatar on Blu-ray in 2D) that the real goal should be higher resolution, higher bitrate and big, bright images. 3D will be worth owning as another option, but I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase a 3D system. For Ian, Ebert did love Avatar in 3D and respects the accomplishment. For those select movies that fully utilize 3D, the extra $5 is worth it. Go see Avatar in Imax 3D when it gets a re-release later this year!

By the way, if theaters want to make the movie experience better, how about this idea. Why not make a more exclusive theater experience. A big screen, fewer seats and patrons, comfortable couches or recliners, a waitress to take food and drink orders that you can eat while watching. Most people are moving away from theaters because they can't stand the crappy seats, crappy food and annoying people making noise. Paying more for a premium experience would solve that problem in a heartbeat.

2 comments:

Colin and Liz said...

i thought long and hard about purchasing a 3d hdtv for our basement, but just couldn't get past 2 issues: the lack of available content, and those darn glasses. they cost almost $200 a pair! what is the point of 3d if you invite people over and have to share glasses because they cost so much! also, i can only watch monsters and aliens so many times. i am happy to say i went with a large plasma and am quite satisfied.

by the by, liz often frequented a high-end theater when visiting her sister in boca raton, which had alll the details you listed and loved it. they will be spreading across the country any day now.

ian said...

Still haven't seen Avatar, and I have no plans to change that.

As for 3D films, in general, and HDTV, in particular, I found this article interesting. Very similar to some of the comments Ted made in the post.