The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

3D Home Theater


I am convinced that 3D is the future of home theater. I would like to walk you through a timeline that leads me to this point.
  • Spring 2009: I took Ava to her first movie in a theater, Monsters vs. Aliens. This was the first movie made using a new 3D technology. I was amazed at how lifelike the 3D quality was. Ava was actually scared of the screen, it was so real. After awhile, she wanted to take off her glasses.
  • Winter 2009: Avatar is released. Dad and I go see it in Imax 3D. We are both even more amazed at the technology. Movie becomes worldwide phenomenon, and the top grossing film of all-time.
  • January 2010: At the CES show in Las Vegas, multiple vendors roll out demos for 3D Blu-ray. People are amazed.
  • March 2010: Best Buy sells the first 3D home theater system including an HDTV, Blu-ray player and glasses.
  • March 16, 2010: I drop into Best Buy to pick up the new Princess and the Frog movie for the girls. I happen to see a 3D Blu-ray demo. I sit down and put on the 3D glasses and watch... Monsters vs. Aliens. Holy crap. 3D home theater is for real.
Do you remember how long it took for affordable HDTVs to come out so everyone could buy them? How long did you wait (or waiting) until Blu-ray prices dropped? How long was Blu-ray the next big thing - maybe it still is for some? My point is, I hadn't even heard of 3D Blu-ray until a couple months ago. Now a full system is available for sale at Best Buy. It isn't much more than a comparable system without 3D. This technology FLEW into the marketplace, and it is here to stay.

I can't imagine how cool 3D HD television broadcasts will be. ESPN is already planning a 3D network. Sports will come first. Can you imagine the Super Bowl in 3D? How about that cable cam in 3D? There are new 3D movies coming out every month now. All of these will be released in 3D eventually. This is going to be huge.

Before you knock my prediction, go see Avatar (or the new Clash of the Titans if you're Ian) in Imax 3D. Then go check out the demo at your local Best Buy. The 1st generation system is nearly as good as Imax 3D in the theater! I think anyone planning to buy either a new HDTV or Blu-ray player would be a fool to not get one that is 3D compatible. I would compare it to a grumpy old man in the 40s who refused to watch TV and stuck with his old radio. They aren't that much more - today. As for my plans? I'll wait for a 3D projector that I can use to replace my basement projector. That will be a few years yet. Those things are a little more expensive!

7 comments:

Colin and Liz said...

we are fixing up the basement and a new tv is on the list. i was going to get a standard large screen hdtv, however ian talked me into seriously considering an 3d hdtv. i plan on going to best buy and checking out the 3d hdtv's they have. if they blow me away (ie, if the difference between 3d over hdtv is greater than the difference between standard tv and hdtv) i will order one from crutchfield.

ian said...

This year's Masters will be broadcast in 3D, and Discovery and Sony are already planning to launch a 3D channel. I think my plan will be to purchase a 3D plasma for my next television and completely skip BluRay. My guess is that with ethernet connections built directly into TVs, streaming/downloadable content will quickly replace physical media.

Teddy said...

Colin you will not be disappointed. It really is unbelievable. As for skipping Blu-Ray, why not get a $150 player. It plays your DVDs and you can always buy a few select titles (Alien Saga).

My conclusion about Blu, the quality is amazing, but not the leap that HDTV is over standard. If you compare a new DVD release to a Blu, you'll see this. The big difference is that they remaster every movie they bring out on Blu. The video and audio quality is WAY better than the corresponding DVD. So compare Shawshank Blu to the DVD. The Blu is light years better. Same for any non new release.

Colin and Liz said...

just buy a PS3! they are upgrading the software this summer to play 3D movies. plus you have a PS3! i am calculating how to convince Liz to see this my way.

Kevin said...

This is al well and dandy, but i don't want to have to wear 3D glasses over my regular glasses to watch TV. Can they do something so I don't have to wear the stupid goggles?

ian said...

Not to mention the glasses cost almost $200! So to outfit your family you've got to plunk down almost another $1000. That's the real tragedy here...

Teddy said...

How about 3D contacts!