The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Monday, February 22, 2010

I Love Hockey (for another week)


Yesterday had three great hockey games between some historic rivals. First was Russia edging out the Czech Republic. Second was the US-Canada game, and finally the Swedes beat Finland in a rematch of the 2006 gold-medal game.

But I must comment on the US vs Canada game. Did anyone watch this game? This was hockey as it was meant to be. With the number of big names and talented players in the game, it was basically a competitive NHL All-Star game. USA jumped out to an early lead in the first minute of the game, and from then on it was the US taking the lead and Canada dominating the game. The hits were hard and frequent, the crowd was as raucous and rowdy as I've ever heard (except when the US kept scoring), and the third period was basically a shooting gallery with Canada putting on a clinic and the US goalie (Ryan Miller) being a brick wall in front of the net. The announcers were a quality NHL crew who I've heard all the time and love listening to, and the game was even presented with limited commercials. The analysis by the announcers was fantastic and they had lots to talk about, from the great play of the US on defense and their limited offensive chances to Canada's frenzied, skillful, and hard-hitting offense.
The only problem I had with this game is the NBC decided to put it on MSNBC, so it wasn't in HD. Instead, the flagship station carried Ice Dancing and Super Combined. NBC missed the boat with not showing this hockey game on the main channel. It was the best hockey game I've seen since the 1994 Rangers-Canucks Stanley Cup final, and possibly ever. I did not plan on watching very long, but when three goals were scored by the end of the first period, I was hooked.
In the end, the game was billed as the biggest win since the "Miracle on Ice" in 1980. Since this wasn't even the medal round, I don't think it was that big of a deal. Yeah, we beat Canada, but they dominated the US in every category except goals scored. Give credit to the US for making the most of their chances (and making Canadians think Martin Brodeur should be on the bench), but they'll have to beat Canada again to win gold. I don't know if it will happen, but I can guarantee I'll be watching.

2 comments:

ian said...

I watched it in HD - FiOS added MSNBC HD a day before the Olympics started - and it was awesome. Between a good USA team and the Capitals being the only decent team in DC of late, I'm really starting to get into hockey...

Teddy said...

Dish has had MSNBC and CNBC in HD for a year. Not that I ever watch them. I did watch the US game. How about the throwback USA jerseys? Those things were awesome!