The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Great Moments in Heffernan History - 1988


I came across something very interesting online today and it brought back a flood of memories - for me all good. For Bridget, probably not! Read the following description and see if you can remember...

Distance, round trip: 4 miles (6.4 km)
Estimated time: 2–3 hours
Difficulty: Strenuous
Trailhead: 3.5 miles (5.6 km) west of Tower Junction.
Trail begins with a steep descent to the Yellowstone River Suspension Bridge, then crosses a sagebrush plateau, and drops down to Hellroaring Creek. Both the Yellowstone River and Hellroaring Creek are popular fishing areas.

Cautions:
  • Take water—this trail can be hot and dry during the summer.
  • Watch your footing on river boulders along the river and creek.
  • Beyond the bridge is a trailhead for other major backcountry trails. Pay attention; stay on the Hellroaring Trail.
  • Hellroaring is a major backcountry trail. This day hike stops at the creek.
That's right, it's our Great Western Tour 1988. On our stay in Yellowstone at Roosevelt Lodge, a death-defying horseback ride along the edges of cliffs with an Old West Dinner Cookout wasn't the only adventure. We also took a 10 mile hike to Hellroaring Creek. That's right, 10 f-ing miles. The above trail description only includes the Hellroaring Trail, not the Garnet Hill Trail that you take to get there. I'm sure you all remember some choice moments from that day. For old times sake, I have recreated the classic route that Mom and Dad picked, dragging along a 13 year old, 11 year old, 9 year old and twin 7 year olds. It sounds unbelievable, but we did it - and it was AWESOME!


View Hellroaring Trail in a larger map

If anyone has the pictures of that trip, I would love to see them! Click on the Interactive map above and check out the highlights. I swear, I remember it like it was yesterday.

5 comments:

ian said...

Actually, it was worst on Dad who had to carry Bridget on his back for, like, the last 3 miles.

Just leave me here! I can't go any further!

God, remember how good the water tasted up there? Like it was made from melted ice fairies...

Bridget said...

I remember I drank my first whole can of soda after that trek, thinking it would hydrate me after the hellish walk. It was hard work! Are you sure I was 11? I think I was much younger, otherwise I'm sure I could have made the trek on my own. ;)

Teddy said...

You were the 9-year old!

Joy + Tom said...

How appropriate, my field to type was whiners! Anywho, I distinctly recollect having Bridget on MY back for most of that walk!! mom

Kevin said...

I rode dad like a horse on the way home! Giddyup!