The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Friday, January 22, 2010

Car (SUV) Shopping


So Teresa and I have finally started our search for the new Columbus Heffernan mobile. "Elaine", my 2004 Hyundai Elantra, is getting a little long in the teeth, and with Samantha, we just have too much stuff and need more space when traveling. I'm sad about this, as Elaine is paid off, and I like the cheaper insurance rates from a nice sedan. But I'm looking forward to a new car. I, like every male Heffernan, like buying things, and getting new toys.

So I've started doing some research on SUVs. Mini-vans entered the conversation for about 45 seconds, until Teresa flatly refused to drive one. Atta-girl! So SUVs it is. I want to buy an American SUV, because frankly it's typically the only car class that American car makers put our great vehicles. But the SUVs I was seeing were way too expensive, and the ones I could afford Teresa didn't like because they look too much like a truck. So I started of thinking I wanted either a Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot. I want a third-row SUV, and Toyota and Honda make the best cars out there, so their SUVs must be pretty good.

I did a little research and found that not to be the case. Teresa mentioned a Buick Enclave and while it's a little more than we thought to spend at first, we could make it work. Then I heard about the new Chevy Traverse. It's built on the same frame as the Enclave and the GMC Acadia, but it's a little cheaper. It also was rated higher than the Acadia and just slightly lower than the Enclave. And the best thing of all is my salary will go to support a US company (doesn't happen very often anymore).

My future vehicle???

I'm not going out and buying today - heck I probably won't make a move until May at the earliest. But I can say that I'm happy that my first choices are all American-made vehicles. Now I just hope that Chevy still exists this summer...


5 comments:

Matt Mead said...

I had a Pilot up until a year ago when we traded it in for a Civic. My insurance was actually substantially cheaper with the Pilot, or whatever reason.

Joy + Tom said...

About that "support US" thing - First you need to read the vehicle sticker where it lists the country of origin for parts and final assembly. Chances are it's less than 100% American. Second, the company itself is now G(overnment)M, so your car payments actually augment your federal income tax payments - which the rest of us taxpayers really appreciate!

ian said...

If you're buying an SUV, don't buy new (unless you're getting an Acura or Honda, which don't depreciate). If you're leaning towards Chevy, GM, or Ford your first, and only, stop should be Carmax. You'll get a great SUV straight off a lease with 1 previous owner (ask for the free Carfax report) for under $20k - you may even get the original warranty. On top of that, their salespeople are 100x better than their counterparts at the US dealerships. For whatever reason, US car salespeople suck. SUCK! I refuse to put up with an a$$hole juggling three clients and treating me like crap just to "buy American". My Accord was built in Ohio - that's American enough for me!

rhett said...

Nice, Ian. Did you get one of the new Accords? I gotta try Carmax for my next car.

Unknown said...

So which car did you end up with? It’s really hard to decide when you’re caught between two choices. Toyota and Honda offer quality vehicles, but I think you should have broadened your list of models to choose from. Sometimes, it’s not in the name, but with the performance.

Asheley @Infinitiofannabor.com