The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Saturday, September 05, 2009

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly


The Good
Notre Dame blanks Nevada 35-0, posting their first shutout victory since 2002. Clausen and Floyd looked great. The offensive line was strong, giving Clausen plenty of time and opening gaping holes for the ground game. The Irish racked up 510 total yards, 178 on the ground, and had no turnovers. Not a bad start...

The Bad
Notre Dame's opponents for the season?
  • Michigan 31 - 7 W. Michigan
  • Michigan St. 44 - 3 Montana St.
  • Purdue 52 - 31 Toledo
  • Southern Cal 56 - 3 San Jose St.
  • Boston College 54 - 0 Northeastern
  • Stanford 39 - 13 Washington St.
  • Navy 27 - 31 Ohio State
  • Pitt 38 - 3 Youngstown St.
So much for that super easy schedule...

The Ugly
United States 2 - 1 El Salvador.

Sometimes I cynically joke while watching a poorly played soccer game that I could play for the team. In reality, I'd get run off the field and lose the ball every time it came my way. Well, tonight I say with 100% confidence that if I was playing for the USA I would not be the worst player on the field. Not only that, I would probably put in a better show than 4 or 5 of the Americans that saw the field tonight. Not that I'm that good - I have no such illusions of my ever deteriorating skills - but the USA was that bad. I mean really bad. Atrociously bad. The refs made some bad calls (taking away a clear goal by Jozy Altidore with no explanation chief among them), but make no mistake - the USA was awful. They deserved to lose and should consider themselves fortunate their World Cup dreams are still alive. Bob Bradley's coaching career? Maybe not so much...

No comments: