The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Darth Plagueis


So right now, Ava is addicted to Star Wars. How did this come about? I was watching Episode III this week, when Ava woke up from a nap and became transfixed. The robots, holographic "ghosts," spaceships and frenetic action has her hooked. I know, I should have started her with Episode IV, but hey, I wanted to watch Revenge of the Sith! Anyway, back to the point of the post.

While watching ROTS, I caught a line that I hadn't really paid much attention to before. While at the opera, Palpatine attempts to seduce Anakin to the Dark Side by telling the story of Darth Plagueis the Wise:

"Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life. He had such a knowledge of the dark side, he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying."

I always paid attention to the part about prolonging life, because that was what lured Anakin. I never considered the other part of the story, that he could create life. Very interesting because Anakin had no father, according to his mother. So I started to wonder if somehow Darth Plagueis had created Anakin to be his own super Sith. A little online research on the Wookieepedia confirmed my suspicion. Anakin was created by Darth Plagueis by manipulating midi-chlorians!

Another interesting part is that Darth Plagueis was Palpatine's Sith Master. So Darth Plagueis was a Sith Lord training Darth Sidious (Palpatine). He used his command of the Dark Side to create Anakin. Sidious later killed his master Plagueis, as all Sith eventually do. Then Sidious located Anakin and converted him into Darth Vader. Just a very interesting plot point that sailed by me the first few times I watched this movie.

No comments: