The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Monday, February 06, 2006

The Wheels On The Bus Go... CHA-CHING!!!


So every year, the Super Bowl is a little anti-climactic. It's always two teams I could care less about. This year it was the Steelers (who caused me to lose the Fantasy championship by getting a damn shutout against the hapless Browns in Week 16 AND probably ruined the Bengals franchise for 5 years with a cheap shot to Carson Palmer) vs. the Seahawks (who caused me to waste a roster spot on Darrell Jackson all year saying he would be back next week AND screwed me with Hasselbeck who never threw a TD when I played him). Can you tell where my NFL interests lie?

Anyway, the only way I enjoy the Super Bowl (other than with lots of food and alcohol) is by playing the good old Super Bowl squares game. It goes like this, you buy a random square on a 10x10 grid. After all the squares are purchased, random numbers are drawn to assign to each column and row across the grid. If at the end of each quarter, the last number of the teams' scores matches your grid square - you win!

I know what you're saying. It's a waste of money.Well, I won it 2 years ago when the Panthers lost to the Pats. Late in the 4th, Carolina went for a 2 point conversion to extend their lead to 3 and missed. That was closely followed by a last second Vinitieri field goal. See - easy! Winning $625 is not bad for a $25 square! Ali and I went to Vegas on that!

So what happened this year? Well, I had decent numbers. Steelers 1 and Seahawks 0. Lots of combos to win. All was great when Randle El completed a fake reverse WR pass to Ward for a TD. My numbers hit. However, there were still 9 minutes to play. No way they hold up. Well, the Seahawks had no ball control or clock management skills, and the Steelers were content to give it to the Bus and run the clock. After yelling openly at Madden for suggesting that Holmgren should kick the field goal rather than go for the TD first, Hasselbeck redeemed his entire season and botched the final series. I win another $625!!! I rule.

3 comments:

ian said...

God I hate you. But you really kinda got screwed... usually those things have smaller payouts after 1st and 3rd quarters, a slightly bigger payoff for halftime, and the big enchilada for the whole game. But I guess if the squares were random and not hand-picked that system is fair.

Kevin said...

If I won $625 I'd buy my youngest brother something really nice. Maybe something like a home-theater system. But hey, that's just me.

Anonymous said...

You are reporting that to the IRS...right???



Reported....