The Royal Heffernans


Quite possibly the best family ever

Monday, March 24, 2008

Utterly, Completely Busted


Let's just state a fact for the record - I totally suck at predicting the outcome of the NCAA men's basketball tournament. As evidenced by my standings in two(2) separate bracket polls this month, it would be difficult for me to perform much worse.


Woof! 40%...


12.5%? Is that a joke?

Every year I lament this public proclamation of ignorance. I devise radical selection strategies - always pick the high seed, always pick the low seed, pick the team with better uniforms, pick the team a better mascot. They all fail. I scratch my head as participants who watch zero college basketball all season and who typically don't pay attention to sports in the least crush me. It's truly agonizing. I like to think myself pretty competent when it comes to college athletics. I could probably tell you the better players on each team with a 10 seed or higher and potential sleepers from mid-major conferences. Yet when it comes to predicting which of those teams will actually advance, I fold faster than Superman on laundry day. At this point I'm almost starting to believe my picks actually influence the outcome of the tournament.

Next year, instead of talking myself into thinking I have any real chance of winning anything (never in almost 20 years of bracket picking have I ever won), I'll consider myself a public service to family and friends. I'll be completing my bracket the night of the tournament selection and making it available to all comers. Use it for reference. Learn from my mistakes and inaccurate prognostications. Your best bet will likely be looking at my picks and picking the exact opposite across the board. I'm the George Costanza of NCAA brackets...

3 comments:

Teddy said...

How many people in our family group picked Wash State to advance? That's what I want to know. Then, I say we throw all of their entries out of the pool on principle.

Kevin said...

Ted, quit your whining - you beat me in the 1992 Heffernan Family tourny pool. I had IU and if they had won in the final four, I would have won, however, they lost and you clinched. Afterwards, you gloated, I threw a shoe at you, and everyone went to bed in pain.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Ian. I seriously have the Midas touch when it comes to NCAA tourney brackets...only if Midas turned everything to a smoldering pile of shit. I'm in last place and 2nd to last place in my office pool and my other pool....right about where I usually am. I watch a ton of basketball during the season, but just cannot pick these things worth a damn. It's uncanny. Meanwhile, naturally, the office secretary's daughter is in 1st. She liked Western Kentucky's 'Big Red' mascot. Her Final 4 is UCLA, Kansas, North Carolina, and Memphis.

I'm comfortable with this unwavering fate, though. I don't think I've thrown in more than $5 in a NCAAB pool in 10 years. Enjoy the crapulence!!